Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Vine Lace Cowl

I had decided to do no Christmas knitting. None. I didn't want the anxiety (Will so-and-so like this?) or the pressure to finish by a deadline during such a busy time of year.

And still I knit this cowl as a Christmas present; I just cast on for it during New Year's Eve.

Blue Moon Cowl 2

I knew the reipient would like it because she requested it and okayed the yarn, and because she saw the lacey cowl I'd made for myself by re-engineering a lace scarf pattern.

Proof she likes it:

Eryn sports her new cowl

For her cowl, I chose the Vine Lace pattern in Barbara Walker's A Treasury of Knitting Patterns. It's a simple, easily-memorized, four-row repeat. I rewrote it for circular knitting, and here, I'm sharing it with you.

Blue Moon Cowl 3

Yarn Used: 1 skein of Schachenmayr nomotta Regia Hand-dye Effect, color 06552 Blues. I used only 262 yards of it.

Needles: US 6 / 4.0 mm circulars, 24" long

Other Tools: Stitch Marker, darning needle

Cowl measurements after blocking: 31.5" circumference X 12.75" long

Gauge: 1 column of the lace pattern = 1.75"

Cast on 144 stitches.
Join the ends, making sure not to twist the stitches. Place marker between first and last stitches.

Knit one round
Purl one round.

Vine Lace pattern repeat:
Round 1: Knit
Round 2: *K1, yo, k2, ssk, k2tog, k2, yo; repeat from * to end.
Round 3: Knit
Round 4: *Yo, k2, ssk, k2tog, k2, yo, k1; repeat from * to end.

Work all four rounds for a total of 20 repeats.

Knit one round
Purl one round.
Knit one round.

Bind off loosely. Weave in loose ends.

Blocking measurements I used: 16.5" wide X 13.5" long. The pattern scallops naturally, so kept them.

Blue Moon Cowl 1

More details about the cowl I knit can be found on my Ravelry project page.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. I just started socks with Vine Lace cuffs. Was cruising thru new patterns on Rav, sort of looking for cowls and came across your vine lace pattern - Kismet! I'm using Berroco Sox in the Hix colorway - green, turq and blue with highlights of rusty green - but I only have one 100gr ball, so not enough to make a matching cowl. Bummer. I'll have to make a set from some yarn that I have 150 gr (3 balls) of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. phooey - no way to edit my commet - I meant rust BROWN. Sheesh - who ever heard of rusty green. anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a pretty cowl! The yarn you used is gorgeous and the lace pattern is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what does "you" mean at the end of row 2??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a typo. It was supposed to read "yo," which mean yarn over. I've corrected it, and thanks for the heads up.

      Delete
  5. I love this stitch pattern, and I'm wondering how to make the cowl a larger circumference, so I can wrap it twice around my neck. I first calculated the multiple of stitches to be 9, so I cast on a number divisible by 9... is this correct? ... somewhere along the way I did something and my stitch count didn't add up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a 9-stitch repeat. How many stitches were you off? Too few or too many?

      Delete
    2. I think I had too many. But I actually didn't count. :)

      I frogged it because I also twisted it and it did a moebius thing, which I didn't like. Starting over.

      Delete
    3. I hate it when the moebius thing happens. Let me know how Take Two turns out.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails