Pages

Friday, December 30, 2016

Sweater quantities, part 2. Saqa

For National Knit a Sweater Month (NaKniSweMo) in November, I dug through my pattern books and found this Jane Ellison design.  It's meant to be a blanket sweater for more slender figures, and when it's laid out on the floor, it's easy to see why.

saqa floor

I choose Saqa because it's boxy, comfy, easy, and eats a lot of yarn.  In this case, a lot of Premier Yarns Serenity Worsted Weight--also known as "the Deborah Norville yarn"--I purchased in 2009 (only a day or two after Mariella's Knit Picks Palette, in geologic time).

Saqa on the needles

Even with so much going for the pattern, the sweater took me every day of November to finish it on by the end of the month.  After the knitting, there was the seaming.  Fortunately, since I slipped the first stitch of every row, seaming with the mattress stitch didn't take a lot of concentration, either.

Sleeve seaming

Saqa sleeve

I'm impressed with how well the neckline turned out.  I haven't picked up stitches for a neckline in an age (again, geologic time), and I twisted the picked up stitches like I do in socks so as to tighten them up.  (Thank you, Jen H., for teaching me that trick.)

Saqa neck

Another glorious feature of this simple sweater is that there is no dedicated front or back.  I can just throw on the thing and not think about checking which side is which.  I've been wearing the heck out of it this last month, too.  It's just so squishy, I can't stand it!  A knitting friend bought yarn for one of her own when she saw Saqa in person, and she even went hunting online for the out-of-print booklet by Miski.  Saqa recommends itself, apparently.

Saqa bw

Deep Stash Half Marathon 2016 update:

Saqa yardage:  1,824.7
DSHM current yardage total:  11.512.3
DSHM yardage remaining:  11,560.2

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails