Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

0.1 oz more chocolatey-er

THOMY's birthday was this week, so I made him a Chocolate Espresso Tart as his birthday cake.

Chocolate Espresso Tart up close

I took the recipe from my new Family Baking Book by America's Test Kitchen. I'm a fan of ATK's shows on public television and I consider their word on foodstuffs as nearly gospel. According to one of their taste tests, the best bittersweet chocolate to use in a recipe like the tart is 60% cacao by Ghirardelli. The recipe calls for a 12 oz. bar, but we could find only the 5.25 oz bags of chocolate squares. Two+ bags later, the closest I could come to the recommended weight is 12.1. So I gave THOMY .1 to grow on.

I would like to register a complaint, though. I don't know what I did wrong, if anything, but the tart crust recipe didn't work for me. I followed it to the letter, but the dough would not solidify, gathering around the blades of the food processor, UNTIL I dribbled more cream into it than what was called for. I don't know how much I added, but I had to. Otherwise I was going to have a bowl of pretty pastry meal.

Chocolate Espresso Tart

Even so, the tart seemed to please the birthday boy. And that's the important thing, right? I'm grateful he's been around for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails