Pages

Sunday, December 6, 2009

The first Christmas party of 2009

Yesterday we homebodies gathered ourselves together and traveled to Kansas City to visit family. I can't remember if this is the third or fourth year my husband's brother and sister-in-law have hosted a Christmas Open House, but this one was just as fun as in years past.

Their concept of a Christmas get-together focuses mostly on the together part. Instead of exchanging gifts, we sit at their dining room table and swap ideas on such weighty issues as whether someone's gingerbread house should have pretzel sticks or M&Ms for roofing material. How do you tie a knot that will stay in elastic cord? Sculpey beads the size of acorns have to go into the toaster oven by themselves so the smaller beads won't char into dust.

It's kinda like how I remember girl scout day camp, but without the risk of bee stings and heat rash. And not every activity is mandatory. Both THOMY and I made Sculpey clay beads, though we didn't string them onto anything.

Homemade Sculpty Beads

Instead, I fashioned two button bracelets.

Button Bracelets

I did this mostly for the love of the buttons rather than to be fashionable because, as you who know me personally are aware, I don't put on the ritz much, even button ritz. Anyway, I basically did the same things as in this button bracelet tutorial. I gave myself more elastic cord, however, to allow for all the millimeters taken up by weaving it in and out of the buttons. And I used a crimp bead to secure the knot at the end.

THOMY was the only one between us two who made a gingerbread (graham cracker) house. He made a house of God.

Graham Cracker Church

He also read The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry when everyone was tired of their own creativity.

I did have a small haul to take home--all my prizes from Family Bingo. In Family Bingo, the cards are rows and columns of family members' faces. Interesting facts (and sometimes embarrassing ones) are gathered about each member pictured. The caller reads the facts aloud, one by one, and everyone guesses aloud who that fact resembles. Cover the faces correctly guessed until there is a bingo. My favorite prize in my pile is the pot holder either my niece or nephew wove on their loom. (They couldn't ever agree who made it.)

All in all, a very fun day. This is the first year in two or three that I'm glad it's now Christmas time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails