Monday, November 21, 2011

Headband Hullabaloo

So, as of this past weekend, the Scrapdash blog is five years old. No gifts, please. No streamers or cake are necessary, either. Well, okay, when is cake really ever necessary?
  100208 Fudgy Brownie
Fudgy Brownie Cake with a peanut butter pudding frosting. Mmmm. I should make this again. 

Anyway, to extend this celebratory theme ad nauseum, I have supplied the party hats. For me, that is. And, they're not really hats since I'm not a fan of hat hair. They're headbands.

Nice, wide ones, of which there are three.

One: Santa Fe HeadbandSanta Fe Headband

I used up the rest of the yarn I bought in Santa Fe three years ago and with which I first made a Kinetic Cowl.

 Spiral Cowl 2

Only, I didn't have enough of the yarn left! Tragedy upon tragedy, I know. Luckily I was in a yarn shop when I discovered this and grabbed a ball of black yarn in the same weight. I started over, beginning and ending the cowl with the black.

  Santa Fe Headband

 Ravelry Link for more on this headband.

Two: Quant
Quant 1

On, this headband begins and ends with i-cord ties. I learned from my experience grafting the Santa Fe Headband and I cast on provisionally for Quant, knitting a six-stitch band for three inches before I began increasing for the entrelac pattern. Near the end, I decreased back to six stitches and knit the band for the rest of the length I needed to fit my head.  I grafted the two ends together.

Quant 2

Ravelry Link for my Quant project.

Three: You Did What?!? Headband

Under the category You Knit A Perfectly Good Project Just to Cut It and Knit It Back Together Again?, I file this headband:

Steeked Headband finished

…which began life from the cowl pattern Gyre used by my local yarn shop in a class called Steeking with Supervision. Steeking is often used to create a cardigan sweater out of a pullover by cutting (!?!) stitches right up the front. A cowl is a much smaller commitment. A headband is less painful yet. So, as a student in the steeking class, I knit the colorwork pattern in the round, secured the stitches to be cut, and took the plunge.

Steeked Headband topside

As you can see at the bottom of the blocking picture, I had already turned under the cut ends and picked up stitches to graft the sides back together. I did this just for the experience, really. No bungee cord involved. No rider on the life insurance needed. But I did down a Pimm's and Lemonade right after the slaughter.

 Ravelry info for this insanity.

And now I won't lose quite as much heat out of the top of my head this winter. Hats would be better, I know, but PBTPBTPBT. (A mere five-year-old blog can publish a stuck-out tongue with impunity.)

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails