Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The stars are not wanted now

As you can see, I haven't posted in over a month. But I can't claim that my life was interrupted because illness and passing are a part of life; I wouldn't want to diminish those things by calling them interruptions. And yet they consume so much energy.

I can't even claim that my various projects were severely interrupted as my dad grew sicker this year and finally came to stay with me for a few weeks before he died. I dragged my knitting loom with me to the hospital. And during those last weeks when he was on hospice, I spent a lot of time with him in my livingroom as I tried to knit a sweater on my Infinity Loom, failed, and finally--finally!--taught myself how to needle knit so I could make a cardigan. Dad actually grinned when I showed him my first tangle-free, needle-knit swatch. The cardigan is a great, easy sweater from the book First Knits by Kate Haxell. I'll post pictures of the front and back later.

The Saturday after my father passed away, my aunt and a cousin went shopping with me for the funeral flowers. Sam's Club is an inexspensive source for fresh ones, by the way. But then my aunt reminded me that the family (my mom's side) usually chips in for a wreath to give to the immediate survivor. So we went to Hobby Lobby where they helped me pick out silks, and my cousin--a fabulous florist--arranged the fresh and silks and delivered the spray and wreath to the funeral home. I took a phone-camera photo of the wreath during the visitation. And now it hangs in my living room. Thanks to all my relatives for this beautiful remembrance.

So, the only thing that's been interrupted, per se, is my recorded ramblings here. It appears that grief actually has enough power to shut me up. And my entries may be spotty at best in the immediate future. But I'm still knitting or quilting to unwind at the end of the day, and I'll still want to tell other people about it because I'm just needy that way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails